As part of the industrial chair agreement (on-going since 2006), I was relieved of University service duties at all levels. Even so, I took on several roles since then, as described below.
- Member, Research Develoment and Policy Committee (RPDC), 2009 - 2010
- Co-chair, Ethics Committee Faculty of Science / Management, 1997 - 2005
-I formed this committee and laid out the guidelines for studies involving human subjects, in accordance with university protocols.
- Member, Faculty of Graduate Studies Council, 2003-2006
- Reviewer, Conjoint Faculties Research Ethics Board
- Member, Task Force on the Tri-Council Guidelines, 1998-1999
-also member, subcommittee for web-based research
- Member, RCMP: Research Critical Mass Panel, Faculty of Science, 1994.
- Associate Head of Department / Research and Planning Committee, July - December, 2012
Provide advice to the Head, and guidance to the research and planning process in Computer Science
- Member, Research and Planning Committee, 2010-2011
Provide guidance to the research and planning process in Computer Science
- Member, Hiring Committee, 2010 - 2011, 2008 - 2009
-Evaluate applicants for several entry-level professorial positions in Computer Science
- Associated Department Head / Graduate Director, 2003 - 2006
-Managed the graduate program in Computer Science, comprising ~160 graduate students
- Member, Academic Awards Committee (2003 - 2007)
-Deciding on grants / awards for graduate students
- Member, Department of Computer Science CHAMPS committee (~2003)
-advices the Head of the Department on various matters regarding Strategic Areas within Computer Science
- Member, Hiring Committee, 2001-2002
-an intensive year of interviews and resume reading in this period of massive departmental expansion
- Member, Review Committee / Advisory Committee on the Headship of the Department of Computer Science (2001)
-Review and recommend candidates for department head
- Internship Representative/Cooperative Education, 1991-2000
-The Department of Computer Science typically contributes one of the largest body of students (excepting Engineering) to the Coop/Internship Program at the University of Calgary. Managing the large number of applicants is a significant effort, and much time has been spent defining and streamlining both the administrative and academic components of the program.
- Member, Appointments Selection Committee (1997-1999)
-This committee is responsible for new faculty appointments.
- Member, Strategic Committee (1999)
-This committee is responsible for planning and setting strategic directions to influence the major department expansion.
- Member, Graduate Committee (various years)
-This group sets various policies, and evaluates applications and scholarships related to graduate students
- Member, "Increment" Committee
-This three-person team reviewed year end reports by Department faculty and recommended increments.
- Member, Heads Advisory Committee (1995-1996, 2003 - 2006)
-This group advises the head of department on both short and long term issues.
- Member, Computer Resources Uses and Development Committee, 1998, 1994
-Computing resources are especially important to the Department of Computer Science. This committee, which met for the first time in summer '93, is responsible for overseeing the use and development of computing resources.
- Target '92 and '98 Representative
-The Target Programpurpose is to attract high caliber Canadian students to the computer science graduate programs of Western Canadian universities. The top 2 undergraduates from each Canadian University are invited to attend I prepared and presented a multi-media show to the students, which was well received. A simpler in-house presentation was done in 1998.
Hosted Department Visitors (extended stays)
- J. Ichino (University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan) for ~1 year visit (2010 - 2011)
- R. Jota (IST/Technical University of Lisbon) for 1 year visit (2009)
- T. Ballendat (Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich) for 2 ~4 month visit (2010, 2009)
- J. Kiemer (Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich) for 4 month visit (2010)
- S. Viller (University of Queensland Ipswich, Australia for 4 month visit (2007)
- A. Cockburn (University of Canterbury, NZ) for 4 month visit (1998-1999) and several other month long visits (2008)
- J. Alexander (University of Canterbury, NZ) for 1 month visit (2008)
- H. Kuzuoka (Tsukuba University) for a 1 year visit (1997-1998)
- T. Urnes (York University, Toronto) for ~1 month visit
- S. Brewster (University of York, UK) for ~1 month visit
- R. Potter (University of Maryland, USA) for a 1 month visit
- Invited and hosted many national and international speakers to the departmental
- Worked on the department planning document
- Co-coordinator of the KSI Seminar Series (1991-1992)
- Regularly review graduate applications for the Graduate Committee
- Presented at the University of Calgary's President's 1996 Celebration of Excellence
- Presented at the University of Calgary 25th Anniversary Open House
Last updated September, 2015 by Saul Greenberg